We were not surprised that a “maritime safety seminar for shipping companies aiming at zero insurance claims” should attract a large number of safety-oriented people in Singapore. We spent half a day at the Furama RiverFront hotel on November 7, 2016 discussing contributing factors in accidents, the impact of national and company culture, pilotage issues and how we best increase safety, efficiency and job satisfaction in our shipping companies. Many good ideas and comments came from the highly experienced participants, many of them in top management positions.
Category Archives: Maritime Resource Management (MRM)
A half-day MRM seminar was carried out at PV Trans in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam by ALL Academy on 4 November 2016. Mr Do Hong Phuong of PV Trans had gathered a large group of employees from different departments who participated in the seminar. The seminar was well-received and we do hope that we shall soon get the chance to meet again in Vietnam for follow-up training and discussions.
CTX Special Risks Ltd, an insurance broker from Taipei, held its annual client forum at Humble House in Taipei, Taiwan, on 2 November 2016. This year’s theme was “Managing for Excellence”. The invited speakers were from ALL Academy, The Swedish Club and Norwegian Hull Club. There were around 60 guests who attended the event which was followed by a delicious dinner at a Korean restaurant.
The first MRM User Seminar culminated successfully with 23 certified MRM Facilitators from Asia and Europe attending the event. It was an excellent opportunity to meet, discuss and network with fellow facilitators from different parts of the world. GigaMare, one of the licenced MRM Training providers in Subic Bay, Philippines, hosted the event on 26-27 October 2016. The main objectives of the event were to showcase the new MRM concept and to discuss strategies on how to move forward both with the MRM programme and the network.
An integral part of the event was the presentations and sharing of experiences by the following facilitators: Capt. Foong Yee Kuan, PSAM Academy, Capt. Caspar Graf von Spee, Harren & Partner Ship Management GmbH and Capt. Jonas Engström, Wisby Shipmanagement AB.
Capt. Peter Sars, Head of Training at Gigamare, said: “In general, I believe that all participants appreciated the various discussions we had and the opportunity to make new contacts. There was a mix of facilitators from both shipping companies and training centres and several nationalities were represented.”
He added: “The facilitators got refreshed on the basics of MRM training, i.e. why do we need MRM training. Even though unmanned ships will be in the test phase within the next few years, the human factor will still remain on board ships for an unpredictable time. When a team is able to discuss the way they work together and find ways to improve their teamwork, then accidents can be avoided.
Training methods were discussed, tips and ideas were shared, and updates to material and content, presented by Martin, were also discussed.”
ALL Academy will continue to bring inspiring people together in forums like this and this type of event will continue to be held annually.
Michelle Samaniego from Wisby Tankers AB shared her thoughts after the event: “The MRM Facilitator meet up is very uplifting. As a non-marine facilitator, this seminar helps boost my confidence. Sharing of experiences and strategies handling the course is a good tool and support for each facilitator.
Facilitating MRM is not about teaching but sharing and learning from experience and inspiring to do and be better in order to influence and promote safe attitude.”
This event is about building a stronger network of MRM facilitators that will take the MRM programme to a new level of resource management training in reaching our goal towards safer shipping.
ALL Academy will be in Southeast Asia again for another round of MRM events before the year ends. If you are interested to join any of our open seminars, please don’t hesitate to e-mail us at email@example.com or register on the event page.
Here is our schedule:
- 26-27 October 2016, Subic Bay, Philippines. MRM User Seminar
- 2 November 2016, Taipei, Taiwan. CTX Risks’ client seminar.
- 4 November 2016, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. MRM Seminar for PetroVietnam Transportation Corporation.
- 7 November 2016, Singapore. Half-day Open MRM Seminar for the local shipping community
Managing Director Martin Hernqvist will also be presenting during the following external events:
- 9-10 November 2016, Zhuhai, China. The Swedish Club’s Marine Insurance Seminar
- 15-16 November 2016, Manila Mariott Hotel, Philippines. Crew Connect Conference https://maritime.knect365.com/crew-connect-global/
Managing Director Martin Hernqvist was one of the keynote speakers during the Seahorse International Conference on Maritime Safety and Human Factors. The conference took place at Strathclyde University, Glasgow, United Kingdom on 21-23 September 2016.
The conference is organised as part of EU project ‘SEAHORSE’ which focuses on maritime safety through human factors and it covers all the elements of human factors including performance, wellbeing and comfort.
On 21 September 2016, Managing Director Martin Hernqvist delivered a one-hour talk about Maritime Resource Management during the Stena Line Scandinavia’s Ship Management Meeting held at Hotel Skansen in Båstad. This is a yearly event of the company where they talk about company updates and discuss important matters about their operations.
Earlier in May this year, ALL Academy was also invited by Stena Line for a different session on MRM where a lot of issues pertaining to MRM concepts were discussed.
The latest MRM train the trainer was rolled out in Hamburg, Germany on 20 September 2016. A total of 20 participants attended the event which was held at The MADISON Hotel Hamburg. The group was composed mostly of prospective MRM facilitators but there were also certified facilitators who joined the training as a refresher course.
The following are the participants:
- Thomasz Brancewicz – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Krystian Grzybowski – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Claas-Heye Diekmann – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Marcin Jablonski – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Piotr Konstanty – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Stefan Lindberg – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Phillip Ottersbach – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Marc Schmidt – BRISE Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG
- Kudaibergen Kassymov – BUE Kazakhstan Ltd
- Elvin Majidov – BUE Caspian Ltd
- Khadija Mammadova – BUE Caspian Ltd
- Vladimir Mustafayev – BUE Caspian Ltd
- Sofie Van Britsom – CVO Antwerpen
- Nathalie Vanbesien-Schiltz – De Ruyter Trainer & Consultancy BV
- Larysa Spiewok – DS Schiffahrt GmbH & Co. KG
- Joe Carr – EuroShip Services Ltd.
- Peter Hutchison – EuroShip Services Ltd.
- Norbert Büttner – Reederei NSB
- Torsten Iborg – Reederei NSB
- Evert Maandag – Vroon BV
ALL Academy jump-started the second half of 2016 with an MRM train the trainer event in Turku, Finland on 9 August 2016 just after the summer break. The event was hosted by Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre, one of our training providers based in Finland with a total of 16 participants taking part in the training. The group was composed of certified MRM facilitators who are taking the course as a refresher and we also had prospective MRM facilitators who are now certified after the event. It was also a kick-off event for the Aboa Mare lecturers to get ideas on how they can move forward with their course development.
Overall, the train the trainer event provided a venue for healthy discussions and an inspiring training atmosphere for the participants.
Several MRM training courses are planned in the coming months, including the upcoming events at Hamburg in September and at Subic Bay in October. For more information and registration details, please visit here.
Here is the list of the participants in Turku:
- Jorma Koponen ABB Marine and Ports
- Peter Björkroth Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Mats Enberg Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Bertel Henriksson Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Ahti Hyppönen Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Tony Karlsson Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Esa Lapela Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Bo Lindroos Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Lasse Lusto Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Petteri Niittymäki Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Robert Stolpe Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Timo Virtanen Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Micael Vuorio Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Anton Westerlund Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Ossi Westilä Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
- Magnus Winberg Aboa Mare Academy and Training Centre
As part of ALL Academy’s goal to reach out to our colleagues in the maritime industry and to disseminate information about what the Maritime Resource Management programme is all about, a half-day “Introduction to Maritime Resource Management” seminar was held in Genoa, Italy, on 22 June 2016. The day before, on 21 June, a smaller meeting took place in Naples.
Our maritime colleagues from Italy gave us a warm welcome during the events and there was a very friendly atmosphere which made everyone at ease during the discussions. The participants were primarily composed of representatives from maritime academic institutions, shipping companies, law firms and insurance brokers. A most interesting discussion dealt with the pilotage issue and participants willingly shared their experiences with the objective of further improving this important part of navigating operations. A special thank you to the Genoa pilots for their contributions.
ALL Academy is grateful for the presence of everyone and would like to thank those who have contributed to the success of these events. See you again in Italy!